AASL Standards: ENGAGE #6
When one engages, one demonstrates safe, legal and ethical creating and sharing of knowledge while engaging in
Are you still engaged after ALL six foundations?! 😉
Our society has shifted from industrial to conceptual; learners will compete in a more global community so it's essential that they know who to work independently and contribute collaboratively; learners need to blend skills, knowledge, and dispositions to contribute to the ethical exchange of ideas.
How can librarians lead in the library and in the school?
- Model and facilitate positive digital citizenship.
- Routinely determine students' understanding of ethical participation and use that information to guide instruction at each grade level.
- Teach students about their responsibility to use information and ideas legally and ethically.
- Encourage students to select technology tools to personalize and share their learning.
- Inservice teachers about the ethical use of information and all that it means: copyright, plagiarism, acceptable use, citation, confidentiality, etc.
- Form or participate in a local professional group that looks at technology and use policies and practices at the district and school level.