Librarians Need a Wishlist and They Need It Now!
With the unprecedented influx of money headed to South Dakota schools and libraries, it's super important to start thinking about what your library needs to make its services more effective and efficient. This applies specifically to technology and curbing student learning loss due to the pandemic.
The State Library will be receiving approximately two million dollars with which to distribute to all types of libraries. This American Rescue Plan Act funding will be made available to libraries through grants. This means librarians need to be ready and waiting with a strategized list.
Here are some items to think about:
- wifi hotspots for checkout
- ILS systems
- self-checkout systems
- recording studios to record music, podcasts, etc.
- digitization equipment (scanners, computers, VHS to digital converter)
- tables with tech embedded
- charging stations
- ebooks and audio book subscriptions (with the understanding that this money is one-time money and the subscription cost will have to be footed by the district or other funding sources in the future)
- makerspace items
- 3D printers
- whiteboard walls
- sewing machines
- STEM materials (Ozobots, Sphero, Osmo, SnapCircuits, Raspberry Pi, etc)
- green screens
- video equipment
- document cameras
- Smart TVs
- ADA compliant shelving
- collaborative work group tables
- mobile seating
As always, you should run your plans by your administrator. It may be that they want you to be part of a larger district-wide grant using school district ARPA funds. Regardless, you must have their approval to submit this application. Stay tuned in for more information coming shortly.