Reading Aloud & We Are Teachers




We Are Teachers is chock full of classroom and pedagogical ideas presented in a practical, digestible way. I also like that much of the content can be transferred to the library classroom too. They've also got lots of free printables and discounts just for teachers.

In my former life as an ELA teacher, I regularly read aloud to my juniors and seniors. I focused mostly on short stories and picture books because those were MY favorite! Students seemed to enjoy it and that made me proud.

Then when I moved into the library-classroom, and one of my favorite responsibilities was doing read-alouds and book talks.

One of my absolute truths? We are never too old to be read to.


Here are some thoughts I have about reading aloud to all students:

Relaxing and Fun

I understand it's not fun for everyone and it certainly isn't relaxing for others, but for me, I almost always had a captive and engaged audience when I read aloud to students. From my informal observations, students were more apt to ask questions, discuss with each other, and, in general, feel more connected as a class.


Downtime

Students are humans. Yes, it's true! And, now more than ever, in our heavily digital world and 1:1 school environment, students need some device-free downtime to immobilize their fingers, rest their bodies and brains, interact with others in the flesh.


Human Voice

Pronunciation, dialect, inflection, and pace create mood and supports the tone of the book. Listening to a book from a for-real person and in real-time can help students become more personally attached to not only the book but, also, themselves as they are interpreting the content.


Equitable

Reading aloud is just one more way to differentiate instruction. It may reach ENL students, struggling students, and Special Needs students in a way that otherwise might not be available to them.


Disclaimer: The South Dakota State Library does not endorse any service, product, or recommendation listed in this blog.

Popular Posts

American Indians in Children's Literature Blog

The Room of Requirement