SDLA's Librarian of the Year

Each year the South Dakota Library Association offers one librarian in the state its Librarian of the Year award. This year the Association chose school librarian Shelley Rath!

Shelley is a certified school librarian at West Middle School in Rapid City, SD. The SD State Library asked Shelley ten questions about her role as a teacher-librarian. Read on to learn a little about Shelley and her top-notch work.

Shelley in her library.

Tell us a little about your personal background.

I was born and raised in Minnesota. I’ve been married 33 years and have three daughters. I graduated from the University of Nebraska at Omaha in Elementary Education and my first teaching job was at Duke School for Children in North Carolina. When I became a mom, I took time off from teaching to focus on my own children and was a major PTA volunteer. In 2001, we moved to South Dakota and the rest is library history! I worked as a librarian at Corral Drive Elementary for two years and then at West Middle School for the last nine years.

How do you seek to develop and encourage middle-level readers? Any tricks of the trade?

I spend a lot of time talking to students to see what their interests are and pay attention to the type of books students are buying on their own. I try to carve time out to give reader advisory to walk-in patrons. I talk about and share excitement for books with everyone and I like to have several library contests throughout the year.

I also promote the South Dakota Teen Book Choice Awards (also known as YARP). I learned that as students get into middle and high school they become much busier after school so flexibility is key. We have a lunchtime YARP Book Club which is advertised in the school bulletin and announced in classes. Students commit to reading a minimum of five YARP books and we meet up to talk about the books we’ve read. I really enjoy these relaxed lunch hours as a way to connect with students on a more personal level.

book club


What’s your favorite thing about being a middle school librarian?

There always seems to be a new challenge; it’s never the same. But, truly, my favorite thing is working with teachers and other staff members. I have built up these collaborative relationships over the years. I am so thankful for teachers who also believe that ‘we’re all in this together.’ We worked together to deliver the best experiences for our students. Of course, another favorite thing is the middle school sense of humor.

Are there any library programs are you super proud of or you just really love completing?

I love holding library contests! My favorite is the green screen poster contest; I use this as a way to promote students’ favorite books. I’m also proud of having developed my own library curriculum for middle school based on the needs of the ELA and reading teachers. I do database lessons with the 7th and 8th graders throughout the year. The tasks involve students looking for subject matter content along with learning about the information literacy topics like searching, paraphrasing, propaganda, fake news, website evaluation, and how to cite their sources.


What’s one way you work with students to be responsible consumers and creators of information?

To me, repetition and integration are important. I repeat general vocabulary terms like paraphrasing, copyright, citation, Creative Commons, intellectual property, etc. in our library conversations. These topics aren’t just taught in lessons once or twice in a school year, they are concepts that are integrated into lessons, conversations, and programming. It should be something we practice with everything we consume or create.

You served on the workgroup that updated South Dakota’s school library standards. What’s one of your favorite standards-based lessons?

I am all about books! I want students to 6.LIB.TL.1.2. Independently read, listen, and view for recreation and personal growth. I love starting the year by having my 6th-grade students take the Reader’s Personality Assessment from the website A Book and a Hug. This assessment helps me to help students identify genres they might enjoy. I also use this as an opportunity to use technology, teach about our online catalog, and locate the book on the shelf.

Girls Code club

The West Middle School Library is a multiple 21st Century School Library awardee. Why is applying for this award a valuable process?

This award serves several purposes. First, it is a good tool for self-evaluation for not only yourself as a librarian but also the library as a part of the school. I look to see which areas I can improve on and I also use it to track progress over the years. I also use it as an advocacy tool. It is a wonderful way to show your administrator how diverse your job is and its influence throughout the school. Many principals do not understand the complex role of the school librarian and this award helps bring importance to the position.

You also mentor new school librarians. What do you see for the future of school libraries? How is the role of the school librarian evolving?

I believe the school library is a necessity in every school setting. As librarians, we need to show off our wide-reaching influence not only within the school but also in our communities. Librarians can no longer wait for a place at the table. Instead, we should place ourselves at it by being leaders and by communicating and contributing whenever possible. The goal is to not only support learning but to get to the point where schools can not imagine functioning without a librarian.

I believe that libraries are more important than ever. Information and technology are constantly evolving, and librarians should evolve too. Luckily, librarians are the most adaptable group of people I have ever met.

Tell us about a few continuing education opportunities that really made a big impact on you.

The biggest impact has been when I started working with teachers collaboratively instead of staying in the safe confines of the library.

Participating in the National Geographic Educator Program was a tremendous boost that really demonstrated that a librarian is relevant in all subject areas. I had an incredible experience starting this certification at the National Geographic Headquarters in Washington D.C.

For the last couple of years, I’ve participated in TIE’s school librarian program called Reaching Out: Meeting the Needs of Rural School Librarian. This has really strengthened and grown my skill base and practices. Plus, networking and collaborating with fellow librarians from three states has broadened my scope of librarianship.

Do you have a library motto?

“Let’s work smarter, not harder.” by Allen F. Morgenstern, 1930s. I state this to my students many times throughout the year. Lessons and technology fail, so I like to ask the students to help figure out solutions. Problem-solving in those cases could be more valuable than the actual planned activity.


Harry Potter fun!

Popular Posts

American Indians in Children's Literature Blog

The Room of Requirement